Click here to join Thames Valley Country Watch
Click here to login to your Thames Valley Business Watch account

Unauthorised encampment - Burnham

Alert message sent 11/08/2018 00:12:00

Information sent on behalf of Thames Valley Police

Message issued on behalf of Inspector Stephen Clewlow:


“I am aware that there have been a number of reports from local residents about the presence of an unauthorised encampment in Burnham today (10/8).


Thames Valley Police received a report shortly after 6pm that an unauthorised encampment had been set up on a green in Grenville Close.


We are working to contact our key partner agencies, including the local authority, to address the issue.


The responsibility and legal powers for dealing with unauthorised encampments rests with a number of agencies and the landowner. 

There are also a number of powers which the police can use, wherever it is necessary and proportionate to do so:

  • under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act the police have powers to move unauthorised encampments from the land. Specific criteria and aggravating factors need to be present for this power to be applied. This prevents an offender re-entering the specified area of land as a trespasser within the next three months. The legislation does not cover other land in the area and there is no police power to prevent movement onto other land in the local area. 
  • under Section 62 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act the police have powers to direct unauthorised encampments to designated council sites.

There are also police powers in relation to crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour which we will use if evidence of criminal offences being committed exists.

Additional resources to provide visible reassurance to the community are now in place to deal with any police-related matters. The neighbourhood team is engaging closely with the local community to provide reassurance.

We will also work with our partners to support them in exercising their powers such as fly tipping and environmental health issues. 

If you do witness any crime, disorder or anti-social behaviour please report it to us using the following methods:

Report a crime or incident online at
101 - non-emergency for reporting something that does not require an immediate police response
999 – for a crime or incident happening at that time and requiring an immediate police response.”


Message sent by
Hannah Jones (Police, Media Officer, HQ South)

Message tag words

Back to previous page
Click here to tweet this message to your followers

Discuss this alert message

Please see terms below before using this feature
Please be aware that the facility above is a Facebook service, posting your views will make some of your Facebook information visible to everyone (as with any Facebook activity).

The system administrators (VISAV Limited) monitor the content added. Any misuse or objectionable material should be reported to

The views expressed do not represent the views of the system administrators who are VISAV Limited, the Police, Neighbourhood Watch and other Information Provider using this service.
Thames Valley Police
Cyber Essentials Plus
Part of the Thames Valley Alert family of sites
System powered by Neighbourhood Alert